Problem with using gst-launch (with avidemux and videoconvert)

Ian Davidson id012c3076 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 1 05:21:57 PDT 2013

Thanks Tim,

I noticed that you recommended camerabin 'not using gst-launch' but I
tried it anyway to see what happened.  I noticed that I got what I
assume to be a 'viewfinder' - which is good.  I also noticed that I did
not get any still pictures - presumably that is why you said I should
use an application.

I assume that I need to send a signal to camerabin to tell it when to
take the picture (a shutter release) - but looking at the output from
gst-inspect I did not notice how I should do that.

I noticed that there is a property 'video-filter' which says what is
going to  handle the picture - I assume that I need to create a pipeline
which includes 1) camerabin and 2) pngenc (for example) and 3)
filesink.  I will then need to link pngenc to filesink, but presumably
camerabin will link itself once it knows what it should link to?

Ian