querying playbin2 queue2 buffer stats

Dave Milici davemilici at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 4 09:56:58 PDT 2013

________________________________
 From: Dave Milici <davemilici at sbcglobal.net>
To: chaitanya v l <superchaits at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:36 PM
Subject: Re: querying playbin2 queue2 buffer stats

The message handler for GST_MESSAGE_BUFFER events is not the most optimal place for tracking changes in 'current-level-bytes'. These buffering events occur relatively early in the stream playback process, so the levels seen are only in ~10K regions.

When I enable GST_DEBUG=queue2:3 level console output, I get logging of 'current-level-bytes' climbing up to just under 2MB, although stream playback is noticeably impacted by this level of logging.

When I try setting the current playbin2 object's 'buffer-size' property to 1MB, I see tracer for queue2 object's 'max-level-bytes' change to that value, but I still see GST_DEBUG logging for queue2 grow up to ~2MB!

Is there more than one queue2 object used in a playbin2 pipeline?

The only bin we customize for playbin2 is 'video-sink' for our device's video overlay window. We're not customizing the 'audio-sink' and using the libmad codec onboard now instead of the ffmpeg mp3 codec.

Any other ideas on how keep the pipeline's buffering from blowing up?

--Dave Milici