Compiling a simple 'Hello World' GStreamer Project on Windows with Vs2012

Gazoo gazoo at 42.dk
Mon Oct 7 23:16:54 PDT 2013

Hey devel subscribers,

I'm running into a spot of trouble just trying to get GStreamer off the
ground in a simple project on Windows using Vs2012.

I've downloaded the Runtime and Dev Files for the latest GStreamer (1.2.0).
My first surprise came from the fact that the tutorials were nowhere to be
found in the \share\gst-sdk\tutorials folder. I'm guessing they're perhaps
in merge modules? Not sure why they'd be put there though, since someone not
intent on deploying the SDK along an application might still want the
tutorials.

Anyway - I digress - I thought nuts to that and kept going. I created a
project, copied some code from the documentation - specifically the hello
world code here:

http://docs.gstreamer.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=327735
<http://docs.gstreamer.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=327735>

Then I included the property sheet in both debug and release, and promptly
*ignored* removing dependency on the visual studio runtime. Not sure if this
is the cause of my troubles - I really hope it isn't since all sources I can
find elsewhere strongly advise against removing dependency on the visual
studio runtimes. I tend to agree - but that's another discussion.

I compile and execute the debug version and recieve a nice, tasty error:

The procedure entry point g_array_set_clear could not be located in the
dynamic link library <path to lib>.

I completed the same tasks with VS2010 just for fun, and I get the same
error. Searching on the msg boards turned up another user who apparently had
mixed some older gstreamer libs during compilation and execution. I only
have the latest GStreamer libs installed, so that shouldn't be an issue... I
think...

Mid-sentance I then thought perhaps the SDKs I've downloaded directly from
the website here:

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/windows/1.2.0/

Were not the ones I was supposed to use... So I just redownloaded and
installed the ones mentioned in the actual documentation here, only to find
out that they actually seem to be the 'out of date' ones...

Gah :E

Anyone else had the same error message and know if I'm actually going in the
right direction or just treading water?!

Regards,
Gazoo