android h264 hardware encoding

Ole Bromose ob at dansound.dk
Sat Oct 12 16:11:20 CEST 2013

On 10/11/2013 05:46 PM, yoyosuper8 wrote:
> The good thing is that we are only targeting one Android device and a
> Pandaboard from TI.
>
> So, by applying the patch I'll be able to do hardware encoding and specify
> the hardware available on my android device? If this is a faster and more
> efficient method than OpenMax, then I'd rather go this way.
>
> Thanks
> Andy

Pandaboard is built around the OMAP4430 (or 4460) from Texas Instruments.
Hardware acceleration is done by software (named Ducati) in one of the two
Cortex M3s in the OMAP SoC. Ducati is not open source, but you'll probably
not need the source for your purpose.
However, you need to be sure that acceleration is enabled in Android. This
should be ok in case you are using Linaro's Android build for Pandaboard.

Best regards
Ole