Troubleshoot OGV playback?

Andrés G. Aragoneses knocte at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 18:46:58 CEST 2013

I think I've found the exact culprit, in the log of the testcase that fails
I see:

0:00:06.182895682  4102      0x20338a0 INFO
    GST_ERROR_SYSTEM
gstelement.c:1835:gst_element_message_full:<videosink-actual-sink-xvimage>
posting message: Could not initialise Xv output
0:00:06.182958242  4102      0x20338a0 INFO
    GST_ERROR_SYSTEM
gstelement.c:1858:gst_element_message_full:<videosink-actual-sink-xvimage>
posted error message: Could not initialise Xv output

I guess Totem works because it uses a "cluttervideosink"?
So now the question is, why the cluttervideosink is not affected by this?

FYI another difference between the OS with GStreamer 1.0 and the one with
GStreamer 1.2 is that the latter is inside a VirtualBox VM.