gobject-introspection in cerbero

Andoni Morales ylatuya at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 18:16:50 CET 2013

2013/10/26 Mark Howell <mark-sub1 at hypgnosys.org>

> Greetings...
>
> I'd like to be able to use GStreamer and related packages built with
> cerbero from Python. I'm thinking other folks out there would like to use
> the gobject bindings for Python and other languages. Currently
> introspection is disabled in the cerbero build recipes.
>
> In my 1.2 sandbox I have a recipe now for gobject-introspection and have
> modified some gst* recipes to enable introspection and generate typelib
> files. I have modified some packages to find and incorporate typelib files
> for distribution. It is working for me in that I can build and run
> pipelines and gst-rtsp-server (with some other minor mods) in Python, on
> Linux (Precise).
>
> It doesn't work on Windows yet; apparently there are some pieces or config
> missing in the Windows bootstrap configuration to enable building Python
> extensions. Introspection could be applicable to OS/X but I don't have a
> Mac to work with. I don't know whether introspection is of use on Android
> or iOS.
>
> To offer patches (starting with just Linux, I expect), shall I open a
> GStreamer bug at bugzilla.gnome.org, or is there a better forum for
> cerbero mods?

Hi Mark,

Open a new bug in bugzilla in cerbero's component for that.

Since building gobject-introspection will most likely never work in a
cross-compilation environment, you should make it a variant in cerbero.
Like the 'nodebug' variant, there should be a 'gobject-instrospection'
variant so that it can be easily enabled/disabled in the config. This can
also help when listing the files installed by a recipe, simpler than
checking whether we are cross-compiling and if the target platform supports
it.

In the prepare() blocks you should en up doing something like:
  if self.config.variants.gi:
      self.config_sh += ' --enable-instrospection'

In Windows, the bootstrap set up everything to build python modules, we
already build gst-python and others so it more likely an issue in the
configure scripts detecting the installed python.

Last time I checked in OS X, GI was completely broken. I hope this
situation is now fixed but you don't have to worry for now because being  a
variant, it can be disabled for this platform :)

Cheers,
Andoni

> Cheers,
>
> Mark.