Ensure GStreamer is using pulseaudio

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Tue Oct 29 11:48:03 CET 2013

On Tue, 2013-10-29 at 10:21 +0100, Florian Lindner wrote:

Hi Florian,

> On my Arch / KDE system I want to use pulseaudio. The Arch Wiki
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pulseaudio#GStreamer says it's sufficient
> to install gstreamer0.10-good-plugins which I have.
>
> According to pavucontrol my KDE with GStreamer backend still uses ALSA
> directly. How can I test if gstreamer uses pulseaudio or if some plugin is
> missing?

You can check with

  gst-inspect-0.10 pulsesink

if the pulseaudio sink is available on your system. If it is, then it
should be chosen automatically if the application or abstraction layer
uses autoaudiosink (and there isn't some higher-level configuration that
forces alsasink specifically).

Cheers
 -Tim