Realtime capture and streaming of a 4K HTML5 Session under Linux?

Stirling Westrup swestrup at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 21:40:59 CET 2013

I have a Linux application where we want to capture a live HTML5 browser
session and stream the results through gstreamer to a 4K projector. Because
of the size the final results will be shown at, we would like to do the
capture at 4K resolution, rather than upscale it for projection.

We have the back-end working fine: if we feed in a canned capture of a 4K
session, we can stream and project it fine. However, we can't seem to do a
capture in realtime. I'm hoping its just because we took the naive approach
of setting up a dummy Xorg session (we don't have any 4K video cards), and
launched Mozilla on it. We then used ximagesrc to capture from the Xorg
session into gstreamer. The results were FAR too slow to be usable.

I was hoping someone here would have some suggestions as to things we could
do to capture and stream more efficiently.

--
Stirling Westrup
Programmer, Entrepreneur.