Crash sometimes when unreferencing playbin.

M.Mario maqueo.mario at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 12:16:45 PDT 2013

Hello,
I am using gstreamer in an application where a lot of HD videos are used,
and thus it is not possible to have them all loaded in RAM. Because of this
I am constantly unloading and loading videos. I have 3 concurrent videos
loaded in RAM, one of those stays always the same, and the other two are the
ones constantly changing.  Everything seems fine, except that sometimes, the
application crashes when unreferencing the playbin. Sometimes it happens at
the first time the unref is called, sometimes it is the second time,
sometimes it takes a while. I'm at a bit of a loss in here.

I thought the problem might have to do with some threads still using the
pipeline at the same time, so I tried using g_thread_yield, with no success.

I'm using this wrapper for gstreamer:
https://github.com/cadet/_2RealGStreamerWrapper
(here is a forum thread with a bit of an explanation for the wrapper and my
post commenting on this crash:
https://forum.libcinder.org/topic/new-video-player-solution-2realgstreamerwrapper
)

The wrapper has a "Close()" function where it does the appropiate
unreferencing of stuff, and this is where the playbin is unreferenced and
where the crash occurs.

Maybe you guys can help me with this. I don't know what exactly causes it
since it seems to happen at random times (when doing the unref).

Thanks,

Mario M