H264/RTP timestamps

Chuck Crisler ccrisler at mutualink.net
Fri Sep 6 10:00:03 PDT 2013

For several reasons, when I transform from MP2T to RTP I simply MP2T demux
-> H264Parse -> rtph264pay ->udpsink. The RTP packets have a timestamp and
the stream displays using a GStreamer display pipeline. However, VLC
doesn't like it and constantly complains about gaps in the timestamp. Now I
have realized that there doesn't seem to be any way with this transform
pipeline to generate correct RTP timestamps. I know that the rtph264pay
element is using the GstBuffer timestamp to produce the RTP timestamp. I
can see that if the GstBuffer originated with an encoder that should work
well. But it probably isn't working in my case. Is there any information in
the encoded bitstream (such as the SPS timing info: num_units_in_tick and
time_scale) that would allow me to synthesize a better timestamp? Then I
could add an optional parameter to the payloader to allow timestamp
generator algorithm selection.

Thank you,
Chuck Crisler