Gstreamer-1.1.4 in /usr/local/lib rather than /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0

Peter Maersk-Moller pmaersk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 04:05:41 PDT 2013

Hi.

Compilling and installing gstreamer-1.1.4 plus base/good/bad/ugly/libavon
linux  straight out of the box, I see that many if not most libraries are
installed in /usr/local/lib rather than /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0 as I
believe was the thing gstreamer 1.0.9 did. Is this a new feature or a small
mishap?

The consequence of installing the libraries by default in /usr/local/lib
rather than /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0 is that unless you specify the
environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH, some or many if not most of the
libraries may not be picked up by gst-inspect and gst-launch as they search
in /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0.

After installing the workaround is of course to

  a) export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
  b) rm ~/.cache/gstreamer-1.0/registry*

and then rerun gst-inspect. There may also be a settings for ./configure
while compiling the gstreamer-1.1.4, but somehow I am not convinced setting
libdir will work without consequences.

Another thing is that gst-libav-1.1.4 doesn't seem to have a 'make
uninstall' command as the other packages have.

Best regards
Peter MM