n00b wants to play movie to quicktime over net

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sat Sep 21 04:03:52 PDT 2013

> You seem to be missing an AAC audio decoder (faad from gst-pluins-bad)
> and a h.264 video decoder (ffdec_h264 from gst-ffmpeg, or some other
> decoder if you're on an embedded system.

thanks!

ok, in installed gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad, so now have good, bad, and
ugly.  following advice on the net of a thoushand lies, to get the h.264
decoder i also installed gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg.

as a normal user i get

$ gst-launch-0.10 playbin uri=file:///home/randy/test.mov
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
xcb_connection_has_error() returned true
AL lib: pulseaudio.c:612: Context did not connect: Access denied
AL lib: alsa.c:512: Could not open playback device 'default': No such file or directory
AL lib: oss.c:169: Could not open /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
ERROR: from element /GstXvImageSink:videosink-actual-sink-xvimage: Could not initialise Xv output
Additional debug info:
xvimagesink.c(1804): gst_xvimagesink_xcontext_get (): /GstXvImageSink:videosink-actual-sink-xvimage:
Could not open display
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll.
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

my guess is this is an output issue, though being a n00b, i am far from
sure.  but this is a remote ubuntu server in a rack.

i have sshed in -X, so it should be able to tunnel back to my X server.

otoh, what i really want is to play it over the net to a quicktime
client via a uri.

randy