Basic concepts, some pointers please?

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Mon Sep 23 10:48:30 PDT 2013

On 23/09/13 18:30, Baby Octopus wrote:
> Slightly confused with your requirements. Gstreamer itself is a framework.
> What exactly you mean by integrating gstreamer with TI's framework?
>
> AFAIK, TI has already ported gstreamer on most of its DaVinci and Omap
> platforms
Unfortunately not this one. :(
What I got is based on av_server and some totally non-free TI libraries
that I'm not even allowed to see.
But as I said, there is a simple API to get at the raw video stream from
the hardware encoders. (av_server is the userspace bit that controls the
hardware encoding pipeline. It is full of magic bytes and not
maintainable  by 3rd parties. But it feeds the encoded video into a
shared memory buffer where it can be read from by other processes)
Just need to somehow 'lift' that into gstreamer to have all the
convenience of gstreamer.

The reference implementation I got is based on live555 which is
unfortunately utterly broken.
If I where to have a way of feeding the raw video stream from that low
level interface into gstreamer I could, with very limited effort, set up
a way more flexible media server solution than I currently got.

> If you want to integrate H264 or MJpeg codecs, you will have to call VIDDEC
> and VIDENC API's or VISA APIs of TI through the baseclasses such as
> Gstvideoencoder and gstvieodecoder etc
>
> Go through
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-base-libs/html/gst-plugins-base-libs-GstVideoEncoder.html
> and
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-base-libs/html/gst-plugins-base-libs-GstVideoDecoder.html

The encoding is all done in hardware. I just need a way to wrap a GST
source element around that.

I could probably even fudge a primitive file reader element. If I could
find it.

Thanks
 Tilman

PS: This is a camera platform. Everything happens in hardware, I just
have to read the encodded video stream at the end.