RTP payloading of program streams...

Sebastian Rasmussen sebastian.rasmussen at axis.com
Tue Sep 24 03:05:47 PDT 2013

> The RFC says

Just to verify that we are talking about the same thing:
Are you refering to the very last paragraph of section 2?
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2250#section-2

> that you should treat the data as bytes so you should pack as many bytes in
> a packet as can fit.  I would think the algorithm is thus the same as the mp2t
> payloader.

Ok, so then each payloaded buffer would not necessarily start with an RTP header
immediately followed by a Packetized Elementary Stream packet header..? Apparently
my colleagues, through experimentation (by attempting to play the payloaded stream
in video players), discovered that it might be necessary for each buffer to have a PES
packet header as well. Thus if there is a restriction on the packet size then the
payloader would need to divide a single large PES packet into several small ones each
no bigger than the configured packet size restriction. This is more complex than what
you outline above though.

> It would be nice, but the depayloader would be extremely simple, copy the
> mp1s depayloader, change method names and encoding-name and that's it.

That is only true if the payloading is simple, and as I'm trying to write above, this
might not be the case, in practice...

 / Sebastian