Porting a sink from 0.10 to 1.0

Sebastian Dröge slomo at circular-chaos.org
Tue Sep 24 04:24:32 PDT 2013

On Di, 2013-09-24 at 13:04 +0200, Thomas Scheuermann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to port a sink element from 0.10 to 1.0.
> Now I don't know how I have to do the buffer allocation in an 1.0 sink.
> In 0.10 I have overridden the buffer_alloc function of the
> basesink_class to do the buffer allocation.
> How do I have to do this in gstreamer-1.0?

Hi Thomas,

take a look at gst-plugins-base/sys/xvimage for an example. What you
need to do now is to is basically:
- Provide a buffer pool in GstBaseSrc::propose_allocation
- Implement this GstBufferPool (you could e.g. use GstVideoBufferPool as
  a base class)
- Most probably implement a custom GstMemory and corresponding
  GstAllocator, which is then used by your buffer pool to allocate the
  memory of the buffers.