Basic concepts, some pointers please?

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Tue Sep 24 04:39:42 PDT 2013

On 24/09/13 12:20, chaitanya v l wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 11:18 PM, Tilman Baumann <tilman at baumann.name> wrote:
>> The reference implementation I got is based on live555 which is
>> unfortunately utterly broken.
> I'm guessing that you are working with a DM365 IPNC. There is decent
> support for this platform on the TI e2e forums and I believe you
> shouldn't really be having any issues with the live555 streaming bits.
Yes, DM368 IPNC.
Well, about live555. TCP support is conceptually broken. And ipv6
doesn't even exist. (I'm currently trying to add that but it feels like
riding a dead horse)
It just doesn't feel like I could ever really take this anywhere that it
wasn't designed to go.
Like adding other streaming protocols for example. Browser support for
RTSP is bad, other options would be nice.

> However, if there are other reasons, because of which you would prefer
> to go the gstreamer way, have you considered modifying av_server
> itself and introducing a shm based node, like others have suggested,
> which you could integrate into a gstreamer pipeline?
I have so far looked at av_server as a black-box. But that may indeed be
a workable option. Except that all the other bits will fall apart.
I can't lift 100% of the stack to gstreamer in one go. I would have to
keep the Appro_Interface bits alive at least for a while.

>> The encoding is all done in hardware. I just need a way to wrap a GST
>> source element around that.
>>
>> I could probably even fudge a primitive file reader element. If I could
>> find it.
> I guess you have seen TI's wrapper libraries, which abstract almost
> everything, including camera, codecs and display APIs. It would
> probably be a good idea to live with these.
>
> If you haven't already seen it, you might find this useful:
> http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/GStreamer_positioning

Well, they compare the full stacks. I'm thinking more of a hybrid solution.

To be honest. I did not even know TI had Gstreamer support for that
plattform (DM36[5|8]). I never worked on that stuff myself.
But it's too late for that anyway.