querying playbin2 queue2 buffer stats

Dave Milici davemilici at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 29 12:20:10 PDT 2013

Hi--

We have a media player using gstreamer's playbin2 pipeline for playing videos from YouTube sites and it's not immediately obvious how to query the queue2 object's current buffering stats.

Adding a playbin2 callback for deep-notify changes on 'current-level-buffers' or 'current-level-bytes' does not get called. Since the media player is using playbin2's download option, adding the callback for 'temp-location' actually gets called for querying the download temp file path, but querying the buffer properties on the same callback object returns 0.

If we enable GST_DEBUG=queue2:4 for console output, we can see current buffering stats with bytes changing up and down frequently throughout the playback session. We'd like to be able to tap that same info programatically, but the above attempts suggest we're not looking at the right playbin2 object.

Is there code snippet which shows how to enumerate all the queue objects constructed in a playbin2 pipeline and query their buffer stats?

--Dave Milici