Android - Convert .wav to .ogg is too slow

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Apr 2 11:37:08 PDT 2014

On Di, 2014-04-01 at 07:06 -0700, cxphong wrote:
> Hello,
> I converted a audio file with .wav  extension to .ogg.
> wav file is about 100MB.
> On ubuntu, the conversion takes about 10s, but on android it take about
> 5min. It's too long.
>
> Could anyone help me to show the problem?. And Are there better way to
> convert wav to ogg on android?

The best would be to check with a profiler which parts of the code are
taking so long. You can also get an idea of this by putting queues
between each element in your pipeline and checking with top on the
device which thread (which are named after their queues) take the most
CPU.

Most likely the problem here will be that your Android device is slow
with floating point arithmetic, and vorbisenc requires floating point
arithmetic.

Expertise, Straight from the Source