Regarding Blocking Source

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Apr 22 04:08:06 PDT 2014

On Mo, 2014-04-21 at 06:16 -0700, Shilpa Chandrappa wrote:
> I need to implement the approach suggested in this
> (http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/Regarding-multifilesink-creation-of-multiple-files-td4666252.html)
> link.
>
> I would like to know, blocking source will drop frames or it buffers ? Frame
> drop is not an option for us.

That depends on your source. Non-live sources should not drop data and
no buffering is necessary there at all (they just won't produce more
data while blocked and continue where they stopped after unblocking).

Live sources will drop data at some point if you block for too long.

Expertise, Straight from the Source