Having Trouble Dynamically adding a Sink to a Playing Pipeline.

Stirling Westrup swestrup at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 14:51:54 PDT 2014

I am working on a video-wall application, and one feature we're now trying
to add is the creation and insertion of new pipeline outputs while a video
is playing, so that we can alter the wall even while content is being shown.

Dynamically removing output legs of the pipeline has not proven to be too
difficult, if we follow the suggested methods.

However when we add an output leg to the pipeline we can randomly see any
of these results:

1) Newly created output works. The newly added monitor suddenly shows
content.

2) The entire wall freezes for up to 10 seconds, and then resumes with the
newly added monitor appearing when the wall unfreezes.

3) The pipeline aborts with a not-negotiated error from within the new
output leg.

I've been trying to determine how to make 1) always happen and avoid the
other two outcomes, but I'm getting stumped.

So, I have to ask, is there any generally accepted way of adding a new
output path to a tee element, while content is playing, that minimizes the
chance of problems?

--
Stirling Westrup
Programmer, Entrepreneur.