gstreamer-vaapi: vaapidecode & vaapisink playback issues when scaling h264/mp4 videos

Joe McDonald joe.mcdonald at vecima.com
Fri Apr 25 13:07:12 PDT 2014

Some additional debug and tests that I've done.

I've discovered the proper way to scale in VAAPI (vaapipostproc...yay!) and
have resolved this issue.  Updated commands are as follows (for reference):

gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location= <filename>.mp4 ! qtdemux ! vaapidecode !
vaapipostproc width=640 ! vaapisink

For MPEG2 playback:
gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location= <filename>.mpg ! mpegpsdemux !
mpegvideoparse ! vaapidecode ! vaapisink
gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location= <filename>.ts ! tsdemux ! mpegvideoparse !
vaapidecode ! vaapisink

Hopefully if anyone else runs into this issue this will help.

Joe