Advice on adding XSync support to ximagesink and xvimagesink

Stirling Westrup swestrup at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 09:45:15 PDT 2014

I'm assuming that this will be a relatively simple operation, but I'm
unsure as to how best to go about it.

The goal is to add a new sync-clock property to x(v)imagesink so that it
will synchronize its rendering operations using the named X clock, rather
than the internal time base.

We're writing an X plugin that will expose a system-wide monotonic clock to
all X servers running on a single machine, and this is the clock we'll be
asking xvimagesink to synchronize with.

The goal is to enable inter-X synchronization so that multiple x servers
each of which is controlling some part of a video wall, can be coerced to
show their frames at the same time.

Right now we're finding that as the number of X servers climbs above 9, the
amount of frame skew we are getting is steadily increasing.

--
Stirling Westrup
Programmer, Entrepreneur.