Integrating gstreamer with SOC

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Aug 6 00:34:02 PDT 2014

On Mo, 2014-08-04 at 13:17 +0530, Mayank Agarwal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to develop gstreamer plugin for hardware decoding(H.264 codec)
> capabilities of the chip on my board.
>
> How should i go about writing a plugin for the same.
>
> I have completed the sample tutorial of writing gstreamer plugin
> from plugin writer's guide.

What kind of API is available on your SOC for codec access? Some
proprietary API or OpenMAX IL or maybe even video4linux2?

In any case, the best advice for writing new plugins after reading the
documentation would be to read the code of plugins that do similar
things than what you try to do. gst-omx, the androidmedia plugin from
gst-plugins-bad or the v4l2 plugin from gst-plugins-good might be a good
start.

Expertise, Straight from the Source