glimagesink and how it likes to do things

Lasse Laursen lasse at lasselaursen.com
Fri Aug 8 03:09:03 PDT 2014

Hey y'all,

I know this is kind of a beaten horse, but given the recent release of
the 1.4 version of gStreamer I thought I'd pull out a stick and give it
a few more whacks.

Today I finally got around to working out how to properly use an appsink
to copy gstreamers video output directly into an OpenGL texture. This
works pretty well for now - but I'm constantly trying to work out, if
there's a way of bypassing having to copy the data manually and just
have gstreamer throw it into an OpenGL texture for me.

The glimagesink looked promising, despite it's current 'bad' status
and... 0.10 reference manual? I take it, this is the most up-to-date doc
currently:

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-gl-plugins/html/
(although it probably should eventually be merged into the 'bad' folder
given it's status?)

Anyway - I had a closer look at the following example:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-bad/tree/tests/examples/gl/generic/cube/main.cpp

It seems as though the client callback receives a texture reference...
Is there anyway of specifying a texture to which one would like the
glimagesink to write, instead of receiving a reference to one in every
callback? If not - is it possible to somehow intercept the texture ID
earlier - and are there any guarantees that it doesn't change at some
point down the line?

Regards,
Lasse

--