Captured video frames are poor quality

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.com
Fri Aug 8 09:31:22 PDT 2014

Le vendredi 08 août 2014 à 17:22 +0100, anno domini a écrit :
> gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video1 norm=PAL ! ffmpegcolorspace !
> pngenc snapshot=true ! filesink location=screenshot.png; shotwell
> screenshot.png
>

> I've also tried:
>
> gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video1 norm=PAL num-buffers=1 !
> ffmpegcolorspace ! jpegenc ! filesink location=screenshot.jpeg

Can't offer you a "this is the answer", but I have a guess, that would
imply a buggy driver. It is likely that the driver miss-behave if you
are not reading frames fast enough (hence the visual corruption). Try
for this adding a queue after the v4l2src. It may improve, but it won't
fix the problem entirely. My recommendation would be, make sure your
kernel and driver is up to date, switch to GStreamer 1.4, and add debug
traces if not already in the kernel driver to figure-out what is being
triggered when the corruption is visible. Finally, you can enabled
traces in GStreamer with environment GST_DEBUG="v4l2*:7".

Nicolas