Gstreamer on Android: Performance issue with ant release build

urchikkamath at yahoo.com urchikkamath at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 02:04:10 PDT 2014

Hello,
I was debugging a very strange performance issue from past couple of days. I'm not able to figure it out what could be the root cause for this performance issue. It would be great help if I get some suggestions or inputs to find out reason for performance issue. Please find below more details .
I'm able to transcode mp4 to mp4 file (re-encoding only video data not touching audio track) using gstreamer pipeline and I'm using available hardware decoder and encoder of the device (via androidmedia plugin). If I run this pipeline using debug mode package i.e ant debug  build transcoding meet real time performance for 720p and close to real time for 1080p. However if I run pipeline using release mode i.e ant release command in this case transcoding time is unrealistic, it takes more than 2x time than actual file duration. For example 160 seconds video of 1080p will take 180 seconds to transcode. Here difference is 30 seconds but this difference keeps increasing with file duration i.e For 500 seconds video with ant debug build takes 370 seconds to transcode where as ant release build will take 1700 seconds to transcode

Gstreamer pipeline:
sprintf(gst_launch_pipeline, "filesrc location=%s ! qtdemux name=demux demux.audio_0 ! queue  max-size-time=5000000000    ! audio/mpeg,mpegversion=4 ! mp4mux name=mux ! filesink name=sink location=%s demux.video_0 !  video/x-h264 !  avdec_h264 ! queue ! videoconvert ! video/x-raw,width=%ld,height=%ld,format=\(string\)NV12 ! amcvidenc-omxqcomvideoencoderavc bitrate=%ld i-frame-interval=2 hw-dec-info=TRUE ! video/x-h264 ! queue max-size-bytes=0 max-size-buffers=0 max-size-time=0 ! h264parse ! mux.video_0", input_file, output_file, width, height, targetBitrate);

Note: Above gstreamer pipeline works perfectly fine, I'm suspecting I may missing proper configuration while building gstreamer SDK package. Performance issue is consistently observed on all android devices not particular to a manufacture.

Environment:
Device:Samsung S4 (qualcomm based chipset)
Stock OS: Android 4.3
Cerbero Gstreamer SDK git version: 7cf0b7818d560ee8bed3fa96ca2e4322aceb6e04

Thanks in advance,
-Umashankar