Correct Error handling with filesrc "Resource not found" and demux

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Wed Aug 13 10:48:44 PDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-08-13 at 10:35 -0700, hobbesc7 wrote:

> What to do if the filesrc never emits the resource error?  This is my
> experience: even if the filesrc location (i.e. /dev/video0) disappears, the
> filesrc never emits an error.  I can detect the disappearance of the filesrc
> with my own polling thread (or with libudev, i.e. look for a usb "remove"
> action), and then try and do what you suggest above, but it hangs at
> gst_element_set_state.

Well, check what's happening with GST_DEBUG and/or strace.

Either filesrc never gets an error from libc / the kernel, then you need
to fix that. Or it does get an error but doesn't pick it up properly,
then you need to fix filesrc.

But you're really not supposed to use filesrc on /dev/video devices
anyway..

Cheers
 -Tim