gstreamer and valgrind

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Wed Aug 20 03:36:21 PDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-08-20 at 12:09 +0200, Krzysztof Borowczyk wrote:

Hi,

> I’m trying to debug my application with valgrind, but:
>
> “GStreamer has detected that it is running inside valgrind. […]”
>

> GStreamer now works differently

Note that the message says that it *might* now take different code paths
to ease debugging. As far as I know, it doesn't actually do that in
practice, besides printing that info text.

>  and I get leaks quite rarely.

Are you sure about that? Perhaps it just leaks slower because it runs
slower?

Are you running valgrind with G_SLICE=always-malloc ?

> How can I turn of this functionality?

You can't, and there's nothing to turn off really.

> Running without Valgrind I have a leak of several hundred megabytes
> per second, so it’s quite problematic ;)

Those kind of leaks should also happen with valgrind then, unless
there's a race condition / timing issue that makes them not happen under
valgrind (which is rare for such big leaks).

Cheers
 -Tim