[Gstreamer]: Retrieve a Factory's class

diwakar sharma88mail at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 04:16:25 PDT 2014

I am new to gstreamer. I have a char *arr[] which holds names of various
factories like alsasink, avimux etc. I am passing this array to a function.
I want the function to pick array members one by one and call
gst_element_factory_make() to create element using a relevant GstElement *
For this , I need to have information about what kind of factory the current
array member represents. e.g. if current array member is "xyz" , I will
retrieve it's class or any other info which says it is a audio/video
multiplexer, then create element using GstElement *my_av_mux. I found some
macros like GST_ELEMENT_FACTORY_TYPE_MUXER in GstElementFactory but not sure
how they can be used. I tried a combination like below also:

GstElementFactory *abc = gst_element_factory_find(<array member>)
gboolean ret = gst_element_factory_list_is_type(abc,

GST_ELEMENT_FACTORY_TYPE_MUXER)

but this hangs, which I found in some posts that is some bug in version 0.10
that I am using. Any other suggestion to achieve this are welcome.