Multi Audio Channels & Patch Processing

Dr. Peter G. Baum peter at dr-baum.net
Tue Aug 26 09:37:26 PDT 2014

> It's submitter role to ask for review. IRC is often the place to do so.

I'm an old-timer mailing list user. IRC is not really my favorite place.

> "Wrong channel mask should be ignored" Question remain on why, and what
> would it mean if you want to playback this stream ?

First use case is file to file processing, so playback is irrelevant.
Second use case is that you read many channels, which are in a second
step (another plug-in) rendered to the existing loudspeaker set-up. This
is what happens for example in MPEG-H.
Third use case is that you really want to play let's say 22 channels,
but then you have the hardware and the know-how to route each channel to
the required audio output.

> By gstreamer you mean wav support.

Sorry, there was a "plug-in" missing: many gstreamer plug-ins do not
support many channels. audiotestsrc for example only 2.

Peter