Show video on Windows

Marwin Schmitt M.R.Schmitt at cwi.nl
Mon Dec 1 13:43:08 PST 2014

Hi,

I had the same problem and reported the bug to the gnome bugtracker quite a while ago .. but since it is still not fixed, I used a dirty hack, accessing the gdk_win32_window_get_handle via ctypes (and it took me forever no experience with that).

Here is the code:

def on_sync_message(bus, message):
        if message.get_structure() is None:
            return
        if GstVideo.is_video_overlay_prepare_window_handle_message(message):#
            Gdk.threads_enter()
            #get the gdk window and the corresponding c gpointer
            drawingareawnd = drawingarea.get_property("window")
            if not drawingareawnd.has_native():#ensure_native should be called before, e.g. on realize
                print("Error - drawing does not have a native window - this window will freeze when moved or resized")
            ctypes.pythonapi.PyCapsule_GetPointer.restype = ctypes.c_void_p
            ctypes.pythonapi.PyCapsule_GetPointer.argtypes = [ctypes.py_object]
            drawingarea_gpointer = ctypes.pythonapi.PyCapsule_GetPointer(drawingareawnd.__gpointer__, None)

            #get the win32 handle
            gdkdll = ctypes.CDLL ("libgdk-3-0.dll")
            hnd = gdkdll.gdk_win32_window_get_handle(drawingarea_gpointer)
            #pass it to the sink
            sink.set_window_handle(hnd)
            Gdk.threads_leave()

Cheers