Pass extra information between elements in a pipeline

Josue josuercuevas at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 01:12:30 PST 2014

Hi all,

I've been working on Gstreamer for a while now, however I still kind of have
troubles when it comes to pass data between two elements in a pipeline. In
addition to the normal GstBuffer I would like to pass a structure containing
extra information which is to be used by the next element in the pipeline,
for example:

*gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=$HOME/Desktop/plugins/file.h264 ! h264parse
! my_decoder ! extra_element ! autovideosink*

Therefore, I would like to send some extra info between   --->  *my_decoder
! extra_element*  which is basically a structure containing parameters for
the initialization of the "*extra_element*", which can be determined only
after "*my_decoder*" is performed.

If someone has a suggestion or knows of a particular example to which you
could refer me to it will be of great help.

Thank you very much.

Josue