"Cutting" Video via GStreamer

Frede f.hobein at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 03:43:05 PST 2014

Hi,
i want to cut an mp4 file i've captured with gstreamer1.0 (e.g. old file
start=0s end=10s -> new file=2s end=8s). To achieve this i thought a simple
pipeline like

/filsrc location=xxx.mp4 | filesink location=xxx2.mp4 /

would work. So to set the new "starting point" for the cut file im doing a
simple_seek before i set the pipeline to playing:

/gst_element_seek_simple (pipe, GST_FORMAT_TIME, GST_SEEK_FLAG_ACCURATE |
GST_SEEK_FLAG_FLUSH, start);/

And to set the new end I query the position of the video. When its => end, i
send an eos and stop the pipeline. So far so good.

Heres the problem:
The seek AND the position query dont seem to work. I always get the full
video as a copy...
Can i get this to work as i want it to? Maybe seek and query operations dont
work on this kind of simple pipes.
Thanks
Frede