decoder sets clock-rate for application/x-rtp wrong?

Peter Maersk-Moller pmaersk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 05:24:14 PST 2014

Hi.

I have now tested thoroughly with the Wowza server serving Live RTSP
streams to GStreamer. The setup is as follows.

FMLE --(RTMP)--> Wowza --(RTSP)--> GStreamer-1.4.4

I have tested with Wowza 3.6.2, 4.1.0 and 4.1.1. For all tested versions of
Wowza, the server set the clock-rate (in the SDP descrion) for audio of the
stream to the sample rate of the audio. The server set the payload type (in
the SDP) to 14 for mpeg audio (MP3) and >= 96 for AAC. So when using a
sample rate of 44100, it sets the clock-rate to 44100 for both MP3 and AAC.
This is in violation with RFC3551 for MP3 because it uses payload type 14.

I have also checked the if the clock-rate is in fact as it says, 44100, and
the clock-rate actually used is verified to be 44100. So as mentioned
earlier, GStreamer fails to play it as the rtpmpadepay only accepts
clock-rate of 90000. Allowing other clock-rates (a smaller violation of
RFC3551) would make GStreamer compatible with Wowza. So unless other RTSP
servers errornously reports a clock-rate different from 90000 for payload
type 14, but actually uses 90000 for clock-rate, allowing a clock-rate
different from 90000 for rtpmpadepay should be safe and make it more
compatible.

That said, when using uridecodebin or rtpsrc, GStreamer still fails to
synchronize audio and video correctly. The audio is played approx. 2
seconds late to the video. Setting some of the parameters for rtspsrc does
not change that. As VLC can play the stream synchronized, either VLC has a
workaround to play the stream in sync or GStreamer has a bug for
synchronizing Live RTSP streams from the Wowza server. Has anybody
experiencing something similar?

Should we open a bug report?

Best regards

Peter Maersk-Moller