Why are all gstreamer DLLs loaded?

Sergio Basurco sergio.b at coherentsynchro.com
Wed Dec 17 03:17:42 PST 2014

Hello all,

Using GStreamer 1.2.2. I have a Windows application that statically
links the following:

     gstreamer-1.0.lib
     gstapp-1.0.lib
     gstvideo-1.0.lib
     gstbase-1.0.lib
     gstnet-1.0.lib
     gio-2.0.lib
     gobject-2.0.lib
     gmodule-2.0.lib
     gthread-2.0.lib
     ws2_32.lib
     ole32.lib
     winmm.lib
     glib-2.0.lib

The restulting application loads all DLLs from the
GSTREAMER_1_0_ROOT_X86\bin, including for instance the Vorbis or Theora
encoders.

 From what I understand plugins are dynamically loaded, and there is no
way to know which ones will be needed (using "playbin" could require a
lot of plugins that I might not even have). However, they are loaded
when required.

Is it necessary to load all GStreamer DLLs for applications using the
pre-built libraries? I've run Dependency Walker over the aforementioned
libraries' DLLs, and only a few DLLs appear to be required.

Apologies if I'm skipping something obvious.

Best!