mp3 VBRI file seeking issues

harishjennykn harishjennykn at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 24 05:00:53 PST 2014

Hello ,

I have an mp3 file with VBRI header which has 128 seek points and the
duration of the mp3 file is 14min.18sec
The hexdump of header is attached in the image.
<http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/file/n4670010/16.png>

The file has seek issues ( ex. seeking at the end results in playback to
continue and progress bar of totem mediaplayer showing timestamp more than
the whole duration of the file.)
I want to know if the seek table itself is wrong in this file as I suspect
having 128 SEEK POINTS for a 14minute file with 32853 frames seems less.

Even if there are 128 correct seek points , it should have relatively seeked
to some position which is not happening.
For example -
I tried to seek to 14:08 sec. relatively mpegaudioparse is taking 125th
position ( 14:08/14:18*128 ≈ 125) from seek table and getting the
byteposition to seek as 1572626 ( ≈ 1.5 MB) . The whole file size is around
18MB.
Hence I think seek table is wrong in the mp3 file.

Any input is welcome!

~
HJ