compute latency in video streaming

frank82 francescomarino84627 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 03:33:58 PST 2014

Hi,
I have a pipeline that captures the video from a webcam encode it and send
the video through udp protocol. On the client side I get the video from the
udp port and show it on a window. I'm able to see the video but delayed of
about 500 ms. I computed this time in a very rough way: I put the camera in
front of the screen of my computer with a digital clock running and then I
capture the screen with the digital clock so I can make the difference
between what the clock shows on my desktop and on the video window.   I
would like to know how to compute exactly the latency on video streaming
(using for example some gstreamer calls), someone can give me an hint?
Thank you for the support.