How to synchronize multiple udp streams?

ondrahnilicka ondrahnilicka at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 02:20:13 PST 2014

Hello,

I'am developing a special video camera that streams a video from its sensor
to PC using gstreamer. It uses nv_omx_h264enc, rtph264pay and udpsink.

Several of this cameras are connected to the target PC simultaneously via
ethernet switch. The target PC records all the streams and it must be able
to show the recorded streams with frame to frame synchronization (the
sensors capture the same scene from different angles).

I'am able to connect all the cameras together with a special sync signal and
reset their clock (or some timer) with negligible latency, but the questions
are:

How to synchronize RTP timestamps? Can I reset them to zero in rtph264pay
module during streaming? (to do a sync point)
Is it sufficient for frame to frame synchronization of multiple video
streams in target PC?
Are there any absolute time-stamp (or another relative) that should be
synchronized in the video stream?
Does exist any application capable of record multiple video streams and sync
them?

Thank you a lot for any suggestions.

Ondra