Vaapi + OpenGL Elements with Intel Driver

adrien_sch adrien.schwartzentruber at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 03:31:05 PST 2014

Hello guys,

In my way to explore HW acceleration, I tried to use this pipeline example
in differents platform :

Pipeline : filesrc ! matroskademux ! h264parse ! vaapidecode ! glcolorscale
! glimagesink

Platform 1 :
libva info: VA-API version 0.34.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/local/lib/dri/nvidia_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_34
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.34 (libva 1.2.2.pre1)
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems VDPAU backend for VA-API -
0.7.5.pre1

Platform 2 :
libva info: VA-API version 0.34.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_34
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.34 (libva 1.2.2.pre1)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver - 1.2.2

Versions :
Gstreamer : 1.2.2
gstreamer-vaapi : 0.5.9.pre1
gst-plugins-gl : 0.11.0.1

Works well on platform 1.

On platform 2 :

Gstreamer criticals errors :
gst_vaapi_image_get_plane : assertion 'gst_vaapi_image_is_mapped(img)'
failed
gst_vaapi_image_get_pitch : assertion 'gst_vaapi_image_is_mapped(img)'
failed
gst_video_meta_unmap_vaapi_memory : assertion 'mem->surface' failed

Warnings :
libEGL warning : failed to create a pipe screen for i965.

Note :
- On platform 1 & 2, vaapi pipelines works fine (vaapidecode ! vaapisink).

Questions :
- Did someone already face to these issues ? Anyone has some advice, where
to report this, and how ?

Observations :
The overall quality of vaapi elements is quite bad with the intel driver. I
observed few times segmentation fault in few cases, deadlock when using
vaapipostproc, etc.... I'm trying to isolate, resolve, each unexpected
behavior at a time.

Remarks :
- Sadly, the vaapipostproc doesn't expose a GstVideoGLTextureUploadMeta
source pad who could be very interesting. Maybe there is a technical reason
of that.
- Happy to see that OpenGL element in motion :)