Poor HD performance with appsink

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Thu Feb 13 15:47:53 PST 2014

On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 23:29 +0000, Gordon Nickel wrote:

Hi Gordon,

> I've done more testing today, and here's what I found:
>
> - Forcing the caps to a smaller resolution played back every video
> (from 720p to 4k) smoothly with appsink - Commenting out buffer copying
> still lead to audio stutter.  (even though there was no video
> displaying)
>
> From here, I guess the question is how do I get appsink or pipeline to
> drop frames without getting exceptionally far behind, or increase
> performance of the auto-constructed playbin pipeline?

Haven't looked at your code in much detail, but you're already using
sync=true, so that's good. You should probably set the max-lateness
value to something, for video sinks the default is 20ms IIRC. This makes
it still render frames even if they're a bit late. You might also want
to enable QoS by setting the "qos" property to TRUE, which will allow
the video decoder and/or filters to skip some processing and catch up
again.

Cheers
 -Tim