matroska and filesink

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Feb 14 14:07:08 PST 2014

On Fr, 2014-02-14 at 14:37 +1000, Dylan Broome wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a stream that I am recording a h264 stream into a matroska
> container. I want to be able to have the ability to stop the pipeline and
> restart it at a later time have it append to the end of the old stream. Ive
> tried using filesink append=true. While this appends to the end of the file
> it seems to confuse the hell out of matroska during playback (vlc etc seem
> to only see the last recorded stream)

With Matroska not so much, unless you keep the "matroskamux ! filesink"
part of the pipeline running and just pass more data there at a later
time. I'm not aware of any software supporting concatenated Matroska
files, even if the specification mentions that.

You'll probably have more success with formats like Ogg.

Expertise, Straight from the Source