Problem when configuring vorbisenc to use CBR

Tiago Katcipis katcipis at inf.ufsc.br
Mon Feb 17 05:28:34 PST 2014

Hi,

Now I'm using this pipeline to have more control on the audio duration:

audiotestsrc samplesperbuffer=8000 num-buffers=<seconds> !
audio/x-raw,rate=8000,channels=1 ! vorbisenc managed=true min-bitrate=32000
bitrate=32000 max-bitrate=32000 ! oggmux ! filesink location=/tmp
/<X>seconds.ogg

Then i generated some files and used oggz-info to check the bitrate:

1 second file:

oggz-info -b /tmp/1second.ogg

3 seconds file:

oggz-info -b /tmp/3seconds.ogg

15 seconds file:

oggz-info -b /tmp/15seconds.ogg

30 seconds:

oggz-info -b /tmp/30seconds.ogg

60 seconds:

oggz-info -b /tmp/60seconds.ogg

3600 seconds:
 oggz-info -b /tmp/3600seconds.ogg

The bigger the file the closer it seems to be of my desired bitrate, but it
never matches the bitrate exactly.

I checked out the vorbisenc plugin, but it seems to be doing everything
correctly. So i tried to use oggenc to do some testing:

oggenc --managed --min-bitrate 28 --max-bitrate 28 --bitrate 28 /tmp
/1second.wav
    File length:  0m 01.0s
    Elapsed time: 0m 00.0s
    Rate:         30.3509
    Average bitrate: 24.9 kb/s

oggenc --managed --min-bitrate 28 --max-bitrate 28 --bitrate 28 /tmp
/60seconds.wav
    File length:  1m 00.0s
    Elapsed time: 0m 01.0s
    Rate:         60.5768
    Average bitrate: 28.4 kb/s

With the oggenc generated files oggz-info wont give me the bitrate anymore
(when i generate with GStreamer it does).

But checking the file size and the output of "play" the bitrate is still
not fixed and depending on the audio duration of the file, it will differ.

So the inconsistent behaviour of the CBR configuration seems to be on
Vorbisitself, i thought that maybe it did not support
CBR, but it seems to support:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?16924-Why-doesn-t-constant-
bitrate-work-with-Ogg

But on the Vorbis documentation i only see the "managed" concept, I'm
starting to think that:

1 - I don't have a clue of what really is CBR :-).

2 - Vorbis don't have CBR, only a polite managed mode that will get close
to what you want.

I need to be able to predict the size of the audio file that will be
generated (before generating it of course :-) based on the duration of the
audio (some transcoding will happen), i cant do that with VBR, and it seems
that Vorbis wont be the tool that will enable me to do it :-(.

Can anyone give me any help on this ? It would be deeply appreciated.

Best regards,
Tiago Katcipis