MJPG streaming

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon Feb 17 11:53:05 PST 2014

On Mo, 2014-02-17 at 05:56 -0800, M0rd0r wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to acquire a video from my webcam and stream the video over UDP
> (also save the video in a file). My webcam supports these features:
>
> $ v4l2-ctl --list-formats
> ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUM_FMT
> 	Index       : 0
> 	Type        : Video Capture
> 	Pixel Format: 'YUYV'
> 	Name        : YUV 4:2:2 (YUYV)
>
> 	Index       : 1
> 	Type        : Video Capture
> 	Pixel Format: 'MJPG' (compressed)
> 	Name        : MJPEG
>
> So I'd like to acquire the MJPG video (not the yuyv) from the webcam, save
> it on a file and stream it over UDP.
>
> I successfully make the first part using:
> $ gst-launch -vvv -e v4l2src num-buffers=1000 device=/dev/video0 !
> image/jpeg,width=1280,height=720,framerate=30/1,rate=30 ! matroskamux !
> filesink location=video.mkv
>
> I'm not able to add the UDP streaming in this command (like udpsink
> host=192.168.10.158 port=1234)

That's not going to work well as a) you need to use the streamable
property on matroskamux, b) matroska is not streamable over a lossy
channel like UDP and c) you'll send too large buffers for an UDP packet
there.

You'll have to use a payloading mechanism like RTP for this to work
properly over UDP.

Expertise, Straight from the Source