gst-launch hangs

Alice Wonder alicewonder at shastaherps.org
Fri Feb 21 06:18:11 PST 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 08:41 +0000, Tim Müller wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-02-20 at 21:05 -0800, Alice Wonder wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Here's the gstreamer pipe my script tries when lame fails:
> >
> > gst-launch filesrc location="${mp3}" ! flump3dec ! audioconvert !
> > wavenc ! filesink location="${wav}"
> >
> > Here's the output I get from gst-launch:
> >
> > Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
> > Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
> > Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
> > Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
> > New clock: GstSystemClock
> > Caught SIGSEGV accessing address 0x7fb338021000
> > #0  0x00000031858ea9dd in ?? ()
> > #1  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
> > Spinning.  Please run 'gdb gst-launch 7632' to continue debugging,
> > Ctrl-C to quit, or Ctrl-\ to dump core.
> >
> > -=-
> >
> > The problem is gst-launch doesn't exit. I need it to exit when this
> > happens. How do I configure it to do that?
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Fedora 20 w/ gstreamer-0.10.36-6.fc20.x86_64 and mp3 decoder from
> > fluendo-codecs-complete-bundle-18-3.x86_64
>
> In addition to what Carlos said in his mail:
>
>  - add an mpegaudioparse (or mp3parse) in front of the decoder
>
>  - lame is an mp3 *encoder*, it does not do any decoding
>
>  - a stack trace with full debugging symbols would be more useful
>
> You can disable the 'Spinning' fault handler by passing --no-fault to
> gst-launch.
>
> Cheers
>  -Tim

Thank you.

lame decodes with the --decode switch and I've actually found it often
produces a proper wav from mp3s that sound garbled with
GStreamer/fluendo. (speech recorded by amateurs using who knows what to
encode)

When lame fails to decode (rare) interestingly usually it is one that
GStreamer/fluendo can play/decode w/o error

With the mpegaudioparse added before mp3 decode, interestingly the
decoding now works on that file.

And thank you for the --no-fault switch.