Tried to add MFC hardware encoder support

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Feb 25 11:56:59 PST 2014

On Di, 2014-02-25 at 22:11 +0800, randy wrote:
> at 2014 02 25  20:49, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> > On Di, 2014-02-25 at 15:53 +0800, randy wrote:
> >> Hello
> >> I have done a demo that support exynos 4412 MFC hardware encoder in
> >> kernel 3.5(the lastest kernel won't work because the driver's problem)
> >> The source code is modified from gst mfc decoder. Now I want to commit
> >> my code.
> >> I know there is v4l2videodec, shall I use the same framework like
> >> v4l2videodec or the old framework is ok.
> >
> > The new v4l2videodec is going to be merged really soon now, and it's
> > going to work better than the mfcdec that is in gst-plugins-bad
> > currently. mfcdec was just a proof of concept really.
> >
> But the v4l2videodec has a problem, its code is too difficutl to
> understand. The API v4l2videodec seems too have many mapper of
> the low level C code. Is there some document about that API framework.

No, the only documentation is the source code. But that's exactly why
v4l2videodec is better. v4l2 is not simple and the code in mfcdec is
only covering a very specific case and gets that working. For a generic
video decoder element you'll have to do so much more.

Expertise, Straight from the Source