record video from webcam using java gstreamer

ilanhak ilan.hakimi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 01:46:35 PST 2014

Hello,

I'm tring to wirte an application which records video from my web cam to a
file using gstreamer for java (working with eclipse on ubuntu). I'm quite
new to gstreamer so to begin with, I just built a src element which is my
webcam and a sink which is a file I created. Then I added them to a
pipeline, linked and played the pipeline for 10 seconds.

The application "worked fine" and a file was created (pretty large). But,
when I try to play the file with VLC (or any other media player) I see
nothing. I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact the video wan't
encoded or something like that. I wanted to try to encode the video before
putting it into the file but I don't know how -  I can't seem to find any
element in the "gstramer for java" package which encodes video.

I would be more than glad to get your help to record the video with and
without encoding (if possible).

Thanks in advance,

Ilan.

Comment: Please don't tell me to go to "gst-launch" because I did it already
and it worked, but I couldn't find a way to translate it to java code.