GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_caps_intersect_full: assertion `GST_IS_CAPS (caps2)' failed

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Jan 3 02:47:54 PST 2014

On Mi, 2014-01-01 at 20:48 +0200, Andrey Utkin wrote:
> In my app i extensively use removing elements of pipeline in PLAYING state.
> Sometimes i get such assertion fail:
> GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_caps_intersect_full: assertion `GST_IS_CAPS
> (caps2)' failed
> I am sorry but i am currently unable to prepare reproducing sketch app
> or open the sources. I would be glad if somebody could evaluate the
> backtrace and check gstreamer source for possible bug.
> In gstutils.c, on line 2484 peercaps pointer gets inited to NULL by
> gst_query_parse_caps_result(). What could be the reason? Is that a
> totally screwed situation, or could the procedure logic be extended
> for this case?

The problem here is that gst_pad_peer_query() returned TRUE but the
query did not return any caps. So whatever answered the query did
something wrong there. Which code answered the query, and when?

Best would be to file a bug about this with some testcase, unless this
caps query is answered by something inside your application.

Expertise, Straight from the Source