Improving video decoding performances

Eloi Bail eloi.bail at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 10:53:04 PST 2014

Hi Sebastien,

Thanks for your answer, and happy new year :)
Please see comments inline

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com
> wrote:

> On Di, 2013-12-17 at 11:46 -0500, Eloi Bail wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am facing issues on CPU load while performing forward playback (2x)
> > simultaneously on several pipelines (e.g 10), meaning my program is
> > rendering 10 videos performing seeking on each one...
> >
> > It makes totally sense that CPU load is high. But my customer would
> > like that I improve it :)
> >
> > Note : the soft is on windows with gstreamer sdk.
>
> I would recommend using the Windows binaries from
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/windows/1.2.1/ as 0.10 is no
> longer maintained. But that just as a remark.

We are switching to 1.2.1 version right now. But we are also using GES /
Gnonlin.
I noticed that they are not compiled for Windows. So we did it using
Cerbero. Would it be possible to also automate those builds ?

We can compile and link a test code available in Ges Git repo.
Unfortunately, we see that gnonlin can not be found despite we add the dll
in repo lib directory.

I have to admit, I am a bit lost in windows... I would prefer to work on
Linux.
Have you got any advice ?

> > 1) I would like to use HW video decoding. Is fluendo not free solution
> > the only suitable one for windows ?
>
> There's currently no free solution for that, but there's no reason why
> one couldn't exist. It just needs someone to write it. The APIs
> available on Windows also look not too difficult to use.

We will study it, but due to HW resource constraints, I think we will not
keep this solution.

> > 2) could we have better performances using gstreamer-1.X ?
>
> In general yes, as the memory handling can be implement much more
> optimal and flexible. Once we will run on 1.X, we will see it :). Anyway,
> we need to switch to an up-to-date version.
>
> > 3) Any other advices ?
>
> With 10 streams at once it might be difficult to find hardware that can
> decode them all in hardware.
>
> You could also check with a profiler which parts of your application are
> also consuming some CPU, there might be some possible improvements in
> other parts too.

It is also on the pipe.