Handshake to start a Gstreamer media session

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu Jan 9 07:06:02 PST 2014

On Do, 2014-01-09 at 11:30 +0100, fereydoon.vahidi at gmail.com wrote:
> I am trying to implement a local Voip service between my two linux PCs. The special characteristic of this voip would be that the two user would be able to send and receive Stereo voice.i managed to program the media layer using gstreamer SDK.( RTP, UDP and PCM)
>
> Now i want to use a simple application to establish this connection and add the gstreamer media to its signalisation.
> SIP is really inflexible and it seems most of Sip stacks have their own media layer that don't fulfill my required audio characteristics .
> Has anyone any experience or idea how i could write a simple handshake for session Establishment? Any tutorials or examples or hints are welcome

That's basically outside the scope of GStreamer. You'll have to
implement a protocol for that yourself, which could be a very simple
socket based protocol where each client just listens on some UDP port
for some session initiation requests and then set up everything. Or you
can go the complete SIP way. Or do something with a custom central
server that passes the session information between both clients to set
up the VOIP communication. Or many other solutions :)

For solutions how to implement session negotiation on top of that (which
codecs to use, etc), see what the RTSP plugins are doing or what
Farstream is doing for SIP.

You might also want to take a look at Farstream but that does not
implement the signalling parts either, just probably makes everything
else easier.

Expertise, Straight from the Source