baseparse converting seek event from format BYTES to TIME

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Tue Jan 28 16:14:58 PST 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 15:56 +0100, Eric Trousset wrote:

Hi Eric,

> I've been trying to understand what is going going on with my seeking.
> When doing it on Mpeg PS file, the seek event is converted from time to
> byte, and I receive it ok in my source element. But for mpegts file,
> with mpeg2 vid and ac3 audio, it looks like the event is converted from
> time to byte and from byte to time again, and never reach my source
> element.

Well, it's only parts of the log. But the code in baseparse looks fine
to me - it will try to send the seek event as-is upstream first, and
only if that wasn't handled it will fall back to its own time->byte
conversion.

If there's an mpeg-ps file, the demuxer should handle the seek (or the
source). You need to check why that doesn't happen as expected.

In your log it looks like the duration query fails - this is not a good
sign generally - how do you expect an app to seek if you don't even
provide it with a seek range / duration estimate?

 Cheers
  -Tim